Friday, September 21, 2012

NOTES FROM A PINOY SURVIVOR FANATIC

Amidst the beautiful scenery of the Caramoan islands and seascape, Survivor host Jeff Probst introduced the 25th instalment of his hit reality television show with these words:

“We are in one of the most beautiful and remote locations in the world – the Philippines. Here, thousands of islands scattered over the Southeast Asian Sea are home to waters and rainforests filled with countless animals, both beautiful and dangerous. Amidst the serenity of this majestic landscape, furious storms can arrive without warning. It is here where 15 Americans ,already divided into three tribes, have begun the adventure of a lifetime.


For someone who has been a Survivor fan for almost twelve years now, hearing Jeff Probst remark his opening spiel with the word “Philippines” was indeed a momentous, hair-raising event. Having Mike Skupin (Survivor: The Australian Outback), Jonathan Penner (Survivor: Fans vs. Favorites), and Russell Swan (Survivor: Samoa) return for another shot at the grand prize was another welcome treat for this devoted fan.

In addition, our rich Filipino culture is infused into the aesthetics of the game. The new tribes, for example, are named after animals ever-present in our local folklore – Matsing (monkey), Tandang (rooster), and Kalabaw (water buffalo), or in Jeff Speak, Met-sing, Ten-dang, and Ke-la-baw. Likewise, the new immunity idol (a bust of a Sarimanok), the tribal council area, and even the torches are reminiscent of the designs present in the community of our early ancestors.

This season is indeed a landmark, a history in a making, an avid fan’s dream come true.


I completely remember the first time I got hooked with the show. It was in sophomore high school, with Survivor: Africa, the third season, when I officially declared myself a Survivor fan. I did watch Survivor: Palau Tiga and Survivor: Outback, the show's first two seasons, but only as “a regular viewer”, feeling guiltless about missing an episode. (I had a season marathon after my self-baptism as an avid fan afterwards.)

Back then, Survivor: Africa was shown in Studio 23 and AXN. One episode was aired cumulatively at most ten times in one week for both channels – and I would watch at least seven airings in repeat for just one episode!

Looking back, I can say that Survivor has indeed provided a great foundation in who I am today -  for my strategic thinking skills (how cautious I am in trusting people and watching my back against real people plotting to blind side me), manner of speaking and thought process (how I would talk and reason out in front of the TV set whenever the castaways had individual interviews behind the bushes – a skill which eventually helped me during extemporaneous speaking contests), and my plain eccentric self (how I have my own Survivor ritual which I chant at the beginning of every episode and how I pretend to strategize with make-believe alliances whenever I am alone in the beach during family outings.)


From graduating high school valedictorian to eventually finishing cum laude for my baccalaureate degree in Accountancy, from passing the Certificate in Public Accountancy examination up to my eventual career shift from Associate Auditor to College Professor, from my traditional Jose Rizal hair to my current rebel Mohawk, from my school days in Dipolog to my professional career here in Metro Manila, from every point A to point B, I can say that Survivor has been part of my life. Every highlight in my calendar is punctuated with a Richard Hatch (Palau Tiga), Ethan Zohn (Africa), Rob Mariano (Marquesas), Russell Hantz (Samoa), and every living legend that has ever played in Survivor history.

The show has seen me outwit the challenges of my high school academic adversaries, outplay the broken heartedness of a college romance, and outlast the hardships from my previous place of toil. In that, I am forever grateful.

To Jeff Probst, Mark Burnett, and the entire production team who make every forty-minute episode a thrilling game of rewards, immunity challenges, mergers, and tribal council, MARAMING MARAMING SALAMAT. MABUHAY KAYONG LAHAT!  


P.S.

What better way to watch Survivor: Philippines' pilot episode than viewing the show with every Filipino's favorite fast food!

2 comments:

  1. hey. join our filipino facebook group of survivor fanatics.

    www.facebook.com/groups/officialpinoysurvivorfans

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, haven't checked my blog for a while. I've sent request to join the group. Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete