Friday, September 07, 2012

30secondTHOUGHTS: MRS. CHONG

One of the hardest, if not the hardest, part of teaching is failing students. As a human being, I could not bear the thoughts of failing, let alone become the bearer of the bad news. But a professor has to be objective with his grading system. After all, I don't fail students; I only compute their grades.

Today was grade consultation day, a period allotted for students to, as the name implies, consult with me regarding their grades and view the breakdown of their final scores. For this particular term, 35 out of 170 students did not make the cut, or close to one in every five.

I advised my students to never define themselves with this failure. Truth be told, this particular phase is but a postponed victory, a triumph delayed by The Higher Professor Above. And I mean that without euphemism nor sugar coating.

I know they will eventually pass the subject and when that time comes, their victory will be felt with a greater sense of accomplishment and purpose, a sweeter taste of success.

In due time, I suppose, they will understand why I have to fail them now - for them to work harder tomorrow and for them to know the reality that every point has to be earned. And when that time comes, I hope they can treat me for dinner.

Ad Title: MRS. CHONG
Ad Agency: UPBrandBuzz
Client: Ministry of Education



No comments:

Post a Comment