Thursday, September 06, 2012

MORE FUN IN ACTPACO

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED! CHALLENGE ACCOMPLISHED!

It was a wonderful term, a fulfilling experiment for my first stint as a professor for Accounting for Partnership and Corporation (ACTPACO). 

First, all of my four classes were full, a population of above forty - attributed mostly to the recommendation of their peers. With that handful of students, I had to exercise proper class discipline (making sure the students were attentive) while exchanging jokes, anecdotes, and conyo talks in between accounting problems (making sure the students were not bored).

Second, my lecture breaks of showing advertisements - radio, print, but mostly television commercials - finally had a name. 30secondTHOUGHTS is the creative ice breaker, given just in time when students' heads were about to explode with accounting theories and computations. The advertisements are compiled in this blogspot.

Third, the Monday-Wednesday schedule was made memorable (and tiresome) thanks to my LS Building - Andrew Building regular sprint. It was a hurried ten-minute dash from one building to the far and opposite establishment, just barely enough time to start the next class on time. I am thankful for that faculty elevator; had it not for that privilege, I would have lined up with other students in the regular elevator and would have started the classes almost twenty minutes late. Gladly, my next term schedule is to be held at the LS Building only.

Next, I celebrated my quartermark this particular term. I gave a bonus quiz to students who attended the class lecture during my birthday as my surprise gift to them.

Finally, one of the most fulfilling part of teaching is letting students know the fun side of accounting and the fruitful reward of learning. That although numbers are a regular source of phobia, one must learn to enjoy the process of learning and computing. That an accounting lesson extends far beyond computations - it can allocate time for creativity and real life lessons. That accounting and boredom are not necessarily relatives. That it was indeed MORE FUN IN ACTPACO.   



No comments:

Post a Comment