Wednesday, November 28, 2012

30secondTHOUGHTS: That saddest print ad ever



THIS IS THE SADDEST PRINT AD EVER

I always get offended (and even depressed) whenever I chance upon the print above, installed at the south entrance of Trinoma Mall - and my disgust for the print ad elevates with every succeeding visit.

The print ad shows a plus-size model raising her hand, as if gyrating to a club music. Imposed in her black shirt is a slimmer body, projected as the figure the model aspires to have - slimmer, sexier, whiter. The aspirational message is further supported with the copy, "Max Maputi, Max Mapayat, Max Masaya."


Here's what I get from the message: (1) If I'm (to place it frankly) fat, I am not exactly happy. (2) If I'm not fair-skinned, I am not as happy as I thought I am. (3) If I'm fat and not fair-skinned, I have to question my definition of happiness, and (4) If I'm either fat, dark-skinned, or both, I must take this slimming pill to live a happier life.

Let me clarify things. I am not against the product - there is a ready-made market for slimming pills (especially with the coming holidays where women will cautiously look for ways to counteract the merriment of the Christmas salo-salo). I just feel that the message exaggerates and manipulates society's already saturated definition of media-driven happiness - the kind of ecstasy that is superficial and mostly based on the physical. The slimming pill does not have to ride on that bandwagon.

The brand can still use the model, albeit in a different fashion. How about a success story of a real plus-sized model who used the pill as complement to her slimming diet. Or other executions that disrupt the usual way we project slimming pills.

Clealry, in my opinion, this print ad disrupts - but in a rather offensive and depressing manner.

Your thoughts?



No comments:

Post a Comment