Sunday, November 18, 2012

30secondTHOUGHTS: The Hinglish Project

DAY ONE OF TEN.

Sawadee-krap. Khun yuu thin-nai? Phom yuu Taft Awenue. Khun a-yu tao rai? Phom a-yu yi-sep hah krap. Khun kin klao thin-nai? Phom kin klao thii dowm. Laew khun la? Mai pen rai. Khop Khun cing cing krap. 

Hello. Where do you live? I live at Taft Avenue. How old are you? I am 25 years old. Where will you eat? I will eat at my dorm. How about you? Same as you. Thank you very very much.

Yesterday, I was overwhelmed with the many phrases our Thai instructor taught us as we started our Thai Introductory Certificate Course. I already knew the basics - greetings, numbers - but it is definitely a different case when you're speaking with an actual Thai, with her mastery in the language at hand. 

Evidently, I have to self-study so that my learning curve in the Thai language will improve. I will likewise search for a Thai stranger whom I can practice speaking the language with. Hopefully, by the end of ten Saturday sessions, I can achieve my two main goals: (1) to have sufficient Thai to converse with the locals in Thailand once I get there - this will provide me with a deeper insight into the Thai culture, and (2) to finally watch Thai movies and commercials without aid of the subtitles. 

Next week, our Thai instructor will orient us with the Thai script - a combination of unfamiliar curves and symbols. I expect to be overwhelmed again. 

I wish I can develop an efficient technique to familiarize myself with the Thai alphabet, similar to what DDB Mudra Group created for Incredible India, the Asian country's tourism arm. I will dub it as my "Thailish Project", an obvious derivation of the featured work below.

Ad Title:           THE HINGLISH PROJECT
Ad Agency:       DDB Mudra Group
Client:               Incredible India

Oh, well. Phom chok dee. Good luck to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment