Friday, July 06, 2012

WHAT'S ON YOUR MIND (MUSEUM)?

Science has always been a personal subject of curiosity. With interest in its various fields, I have often asked myself of inquisitive questions and answered them by exploring the limitless boundaries of science and its studies. Such fascination was recently re-cultivated when I visited The Mind Museum, the country’s first world-class science museum.
Upon arriving at the Bonifacio Global City site, I was welcomed by the modern structure of the Museum. The uniquely-shaped edifice is a fitting greeting, providing enough hints for visitors of the many stored wonders waiting for them inside.
I purchased a ticket for the three to six afternoon tour. Each tour, according to the Museum’s website, is distributed in three hour blocks from Tuesdays to Sundays – starting from nine in the morning until six in the evening on weekdays and until nine in the evening on weekends.
My tour started with an introduction from Aedi (or idea spelled backwards). The anthropomorphic robot gave a brief overview of the Museum’s galleries and provided rules to follow while inside the museum.  After Aedi’s speech, a “mind mover”, the Museum’s term for museum guide, forwarded with his Segway towards my direction and instructed me to follow his direction.
Hansen, the mind mover assigned to me, made another warm welcome and detailed the galleries briefly introduced by Aedi. The galleries, according to Hansen, are interconnected. “The Mind Museum has five galleries or stories: The Story of the Atom, The Story of Life, The Story of the Earth, The Story of the Universe, and The Story of Technology,” the mind mover enumerated. “Everything here is connected – all things start from the smallest of particles and we belong to one gigantic universe.”
The mind mover later related that, after his introduction, I will be left on my own to explore the Museum. I asked why the schedule is not a guided tour. “Science should be entertaining, fun, and engaging. It takes time to learn it. You learn science your own way and on your own,” Hansen explained.
I was now ready to start my adventure.
The first gallery on my list was the smallest of everything – The Story of the Atom. In here, one marvels at the unique characteristics of the very minute – from the basic periodic elements to the composition of compounds, and from the application of energy to the magic of fusion and fission. A crowd favourite is the Static Van de Graaff, a machine that explains the basics of negative and positive charges. The Robert Van de Graaff invention can literally make for a hair-raising experience! Other notable interactive exhibits are the Shadow Box which freezes your shadows and the Whirlpool which explains the concept behind centripetal force.
After immersing myself with new knowledge about atoms and molecules, I then proceeded to The Story of Life which was interconnected from the first gallery by a tunnel projecting a lesson about human deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA). 
A giant replica of the human brain and a whale shark are the first conversation pieces of the second gallery. Within The Story of Life, visitors learn more about the human anatomy, the various species of animal life, and the tale of men’s evolution and migration. Behind the statues depicting Charles Darwin’s Theory of Evolution is a photo booth where one can take a snapshot and discover his prehistoric counterpart. I even took one myself and was amazed with the result!
But my favourite Life piece is the Bernoulli’s principle exhibit. The flying beach balls reminded me of a similar exhibit back in grade school and brought back childhood memories. It reminded me to think and to act like a child –curious, playful, and interacting – while I was in the Museum.  And so I did.
The Story of the Earth was the third gallery I visited. Stan, a replica of the extinct Tyrannosaurus Rex, is the main centrepiece of the gallery. Surrounding him are interactive exhibits that discussed the earth’s geology. I went inside the Animal Sound Cave and listened to lions roaring and owls hooting while visiting students formed tornadoes and volcanoes, created earthquakes, and dug fossils in separate exhibits.  

From the Earth gallery, I proceeded to The Story of the Universe through a dizzying tunnel of stars and galaxies. In the Universe gallery, I felt like a would-be astronaut in exploring the simulated phases of the earth’s moon and in navigating a buggy in a made-believe terrestrial Mars.  The Space Quest exhibit, on the other hand, informed me that flies were the first animals sent to space. An interesting factoid, indeed.
After pretending to be a space man, I headed to the second floor to visit the last gallery of the Museum, The Story of Technology. In the gallery, visitors explored the humble beginnings of men’s invention -the ancient astrolabe, the initial printing press, and the pioneering Spinning Jenny, for example. Students likewise appreciated the advancement of modern technology - the helper robots, the arcade video games, the night vision goggles – through their related exhibits.
I have been touring the Museum for at most two hours after I visited the Technology. However, I realized that I had not completed my tour of over 250 interactive exhibits.  Thus, I spent the final hour enjoying a 3D show entitled “Birthplace” and “Space Shell” in the Life and Universe galleries respectively. The remaining minutes inside the museum was spent for the “Hall of 10 Most Beautiful Experiments” and the “Hall of Philippine Science.”
Music was played to signal the end of the museum visit. As I proceeded towards the exit, I felt the scientist in me fulfilled, happy that I was given three hours to become a kid again, a curious mind in his version of playground. I remarked Stan an “until next time” and Aedi, a silent thank you.
Outside, some students are still playing in the Science-in-the-Park, an outdoor experience of Water, Math, Music, and Living. The students seemed entertained with their discoveries. Then, Stan’s words crossed my mind:
“If your bones were discovered someday, what stories would they tell?”
I am sure that whatever stories this civilization will tell, The Mind Museum will keep and narrate these stories for the curious generations to come.
---
For tickets reservations and more information, call 909-MIND (6463) or visit http://themindmuseum.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment