Saturday, August 11, 2012

IMPACTED TOOTH: THE CHIEF CREATIVE INTERVENTION

      Yesterday, I had my dentist extract my impacted tooth - a literal adjective for having one's problem removed. It was the most expensive (and most painful) pre-birthday gift I have given myself.

       I was supposed to schedule the particular surgery by September when I will be in Dipolog for the term-break. However, I decided that I do not want the on-off pain and discomfort, which affected my left ear and trigeminal nerves, to interrupt my celebration of my will-be quarter-mark.

       And the Higher Dentist Above, through Don Draper, intervened.

       While I was watching the finale of Mad Men's fifth season, I saw a sign that it was the proper time to have my impacted tooth extracted the soonest time possible - Don Draper had a toothache and at the later part of the episode, he visited the dentist and had the annoying tooth removed.



      After five seasons of watching the fictional advertising-centered drama series in marathon, I am in awe of Don Draper's genius. His words of advice equal that of Ogilvy's, full of wisdom, insight, and idea. Except for his philandering ways, Don Draper is a personal role model, a vision of success I want to achieve in that advertising world. I will do whatever it takes to be like him...

    ...and yes, that includes having a tooth extracted because the Don had one too.


Ad Title: "ROME" "EGYPT"
Ad Agency: JWT Shanghai
Client: Maxam


     The surgery took less than an hour but preparing the self for the actual extraction took hours - I am, after all, a self-confessed nerbyoso. To calm the nerves, I did three things. First and of course, pray. I knew that the Higher Dentist Above will guide my dentist's hands into a successful extraction. Second, I had a call from my mother. Nothing beats the voice of a mother calming his son, knowing that everything will be okay (and that even though you're a grown up now, you'll always be mama's little boy). And third, I had a mental note that made the inner Draper fan braver - in repeat, my mind was shouting, DON DID THIS, DON DID THIS, LET'S DO THIS!

      So while the dentist was performing the extraction, maneuvering the surgery while my mouth remained pronounced in a silent and prolonged scream, I just imagined I was in the same dental clinic as where my personal idol had his extraction. In that, the pain become less painful; and the aspiring creative, braver.
   
     Such imagination, I know. At most, the illusion helped me through the process.

     I will be completely healed in a matter of days, just in time for the celebration. The early extraction was indeed His pre-birthday gift, a sign that He really wants me to celebrate the quarter-mark in complete glee and consolation, without the unnecessary discomfort from the bothering tooth. And although I initially wanted to have the tooth removed at a later period, He intervened and scheduled for a sooner date. Not my plans, but His will always prevail. He is, after all, the Higher Dentist and Chief Creative rolled into one.

No comments:

Post a Comment